Saturday, August 2, 2014

Now for the good stuff!

My Lactose-free Chocolate Peanut Butter Soylent Recipe (perma-linked for download).

That recipe has been heavily altered from the DIY Forum on Soylent.me. I've also added columns to help me calculate how much of each ingredient I'll need to make 90 and 30 day batches and what that would cost. I've also included links to each of the ingredient locations where I purchased them and attempted to keep the cost per ingredient accurate to what I bought.

Here's what it looks like to put together at least a 30-day supply of DIY Soylent (DIYS from now on):











There is one ingredient missing from all this mayhem: 5 lbs of Whey Isolate (in Chocolate Peanut Butter flavor). That last item is shipping from Vitamin Discount Center instead of Amazon and iHerb; it should arrive by Monday (8/4) and I'll mix the first day's batch that night. Under recommendations from the DIY forum, I'll be letting the batch chill overnight to reduce grittiness from the PAN/MASA (the pre-cooked corn flour).

But! In the meantime! Having so many flour ingredients arrive in really, REALLY not airtight bags meant that I had to invest in airtight storage. So now my kitchen worktable looks like I've either started a bakery or an illicit laboratory.


From left to right, we have P.A.N. (in individual ziplock bags for freshness), the MSM Sulfur Powder, Iodized Salt, Potassium Gluconate, Potassium Chloride, White Rice Flour (in individual ziplock bags again), Choline Bitartrate tablets, Calcium & Magnesium powder, more jars of White Rice Powder (I got a bulk pack so there was a lot!), Women's multivitamins, my starter Vegetable ("Soybean") oil, a different type of Women's multivitamins that isn't as good as the Rainbow Light version, a jar of the Splenda Brown Sugar, a jar of the unsweetened cocoa powder, a coffee canister containing more cocoa powder since I underestimate my storage needs, and more white rice flour. Don't let the size of the paper fool you into thinking that the jars are small- that left-most jar is 2.5 gallons of corn flour and that's a 12" x 18" inch chart!

Technically, I ordered enough materials to only fully make 30 days of DIYS but, when available, I ordered bulk packs of the cheaper, easier to store ingredients so that I could order less for the next month or so. Hence the rows of Potassium Gluconate and Calcium/Magnesium containers and all the extra white rice flour. Since I need these items to stay fresh as long as possible, I went for as many airtight containers as I could get my hands on.

So! Now I have the ingredients. How on earth am I going to make this work??

Well, back to that large chart on the table- that's my bio-monitoring chart to make sure that DIYS doesn't do anything harmful to my body. I will be putting myself through a battery of tests on a daily (and then hopefully weekly only) basis to ensure that my body is getting exactly what it needs. To do so, I have procured a slew of home equipment to test myself:

Here, we see my chart, a jar of urinalysis strips, a cloth measuring tape, a digital wrist blood pressure/pule monitor, a mobile blood glucose monitor (with extra lancets and test strips), and a body analysis scale. All of these items were bought from Amazon and are safe to use at home. I will be doing pre-DIYS testing to determine my baseline scores and then will continue to test to determine the effects that DIYS has on my body.

Interested in how I plan on keeping track of my data? Here's a perma-link to my blank chart. Any changes I make to it will be made to this chart, so feel free to download it and alter it it your needs. Naturally, I expect that men using this chart will likely not need the menstruation row! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment