Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Minor alterations

Here we have a newly altered mix. 


On the left, you will notice my cheap-but-useful food blender. It was $9 at Big Lots and came in crazy useful today. I measured out my pre-cooked MASA/PAN (corn flour) and poured it into this bad boy first and blended the nonsense out of it. Then I measured out my minerals and blended those as well (for good measure) before adding all that into my pitcher.

To further produce a more palatable beverage, I reduced my cocoa powder by half (22g instead of 44g) and added two tablespoons (180 calories) of the only peanut butter I could find. It isn't the healthiest of peanut butters but that will be resolved when the peanut butter powder I ordered arrives tomorrow. For now, I just wanted to know if the taste could be what I wanted it to be. You can certainly see how light the mix is now in the photo.

Lastly, I severely reduced the amount of water in my pitcher. I used the same technique of adding water in small amounts while using my immersion blender (still the best tactic) but I stopped adding water at about the 3/5th point. I'm interested to see if a thicker mix will reduce how much I notice the grit- this was one of the suggestions on the Reddit post about DIY Soylent sandiness. If the thickness turns out to really make a difference, the Xantham Gum will help thicken the mix.

So far, the taste is nice (the chocolate isn't as overpowering) and the mix seems to be blending a lot better. The bits of particles on the sides of the container after a good shake aren't as large as they were before.

Also, I noticed today that drinking my mix out of a straw helped with the grit issue. By constantly stirring and not just drinking the liquid-only portion sitting at the top of the bottle, I spread out how much grit was in each sip. I was able to go through three bottles while at work without too much issue.

Something I haven't mentioned yet: gastronomic status. Yeah, my pee is yellow. It's clearly from one (or both) of the pills I take in the morning since it goes away by the evening. And yesterday (my first day), I had a bit of a rumbley tummy and some mild gas. Nothing that a gas-x couldn't resolve and nothing that prevented me from being around people.

I still have some of my two original bottles left to put away but I'll make sure to give you another update when I drink up my 1.1 (naughty pb) version!

No comments:

Post a Comment